Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Wicklow Blanket

One of my earliest memories is telling the Gingerbread Daddy that I didn't like purple and yellow together. I didn't think they ... matched. My father explained how the colour wheel worked and how colours complement each other. I still wasn't entirely convinced. Then he told me that if the colour combination works in nature, then ... well, then it works. And nature seems particularly fond of the purple/yellow combo, so who am I to disagree?

It seems that Mother Nature has a pretty whacky sense of colour, though, and a lot of my crochet work reflect the type of colour combinations that you see in the hothouses of a botanic garden. But I've gone back to my roots (cue corny Irish picture):

a old cabin in the woods

This is the Wicklow blanket, because the greens and browns and blues remind me of the landscape, the purples remind me of the heather that grows in the stoney Wicklow Mountains (well, they'd be hills by Alpine standards, but they're still big enough.)

4 comments:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Gorgeous! I love the colors...

justme said...

Wicklow is a beautiful place and I love the blanket! My mom was born in or around Dublin and had aunts in Wicklow...they took us to the Latouche hotel for tea long ago...did you do the blanket in strips sewn together??

~Christina said...

This is beautiful! I love those colors together, very much like nature, as you say. :)

I randomly found your blog while I was blog-hopping, and a few days later noticed that you say you are from Ireland! This made me very happy, as my family is very Irish, and very much in love with our Irish roots, but have never been able to visit Ireland herself or dig as deeply into our history as we would like to. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really like your blog, and am going to attempt to make some of those cute little advent socks soon!

~Christina, an admirer from Vancouver, WA, USA. :o)

P.S. my sister and I were laughing as we read about your dad----our own dad likes to make up words as well, and when my parents were newlyweds, he rather unwisely decided to call my mom a "toadbucket." I kid you not! :D

Joanne said...

I like the colors you are using- is this what you are making out of the infamous RHSS?