Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Green, Green Grass of Home

Towards the end of the school year, I showed my students some photos of Ireland. They asked if I'd photoshopped them because the colours were "unnatural". I looked at the photos again - "No," I said, "That's just the way it is in Ireland." This luscious, vivid, unnatural green is ... well, it's just Ireland.

In German they say that green is the colour of hope. Because we're having an optimistic August, here are some pictures of eye-popping green:



6 comments:

Donna Lee said...

I always imagine Ireland as green (and of course Scotland is all plaid) in my mind. Your photos are lovely.

I feel like we're seeing the same kind of economic depression among the people here. The talking heads are all about the hope and the future but the people who are struggling NOW don't want to hear about hope. They need to hear how they're going to feed their children today.

I have a great fear that the Republicans are going to win in the next election and it's all because of the economics.

Anonymous said...

This posting reminds me of my parish priest and how he talks of the GREEN in Ireland. He is from Ireland and would sometimes sponsor trips to Ireland for anyone who wanted to go. He would laugh when people first saw the very green country side from the air and exclaim "Look how Green it is".

calknit said...

That is an amazingly beautiful shade of green. All that rain begets so much lovely green color.

Annie Cholewa said...

It's similarly green in Wales, but I love the green of Ireland too :)

Amy Bailes said...

That's how green it is here in Louisiana - I love to come home from a trip and pass under the oaks that line the road going toward home - so lush.

Lynn Sibley said...

It's like Canada in the late spring (or a damp summer!). Lovely.