Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Gauge Rage

Whaaaat? And now I have to block it as well?

Gauge.
For a start, it's a word that I always want to write guage. I don't know why, but gauge always looks wrong.

That should be a sign that gauge is not my forte. Or, to put it in a way that looks nicer to my eye: guage is not my forté.

As a crocheter, I laughed at gauge a lot. I mostly crochet household stuff, so a centimetre or inch off here or there doesn't make that much of a difference. But knitting is a whole 'nother ballgame and knitting things that are actually supposed to fit people is an entirely different kettle of fish. But I decided, in my usual gung-ho fashion, to just knit a sweater for my niece (again, this word looks better written neice) and started on one that was for a child six months older than she will be this winter (she'll be two this year).

I ended up with a jumper that would fit my ten-month-old son. And I'd make him wear it, gender stereotypes be damned, except ... well, it is a tad too girly. It's my first time doing colour-work - fair isle or intarsia, I believe it's called - and the fact that I can knit English-style and continental has been very helpful. Indeed, I thought stranded knitting would be an immense pain in the posterior, but it actual livens up a rather slow and painstaking process (as a crocheter, you get used to quicker gratification - bigger stitches, faster work.) Now I want to knit one of those Scandinavian-style sweaters with reindeer and snowflakes. I figure that if I make one for my husband, it might end up fitting my poor two-year-old niece.

Or I might just try a gauge swatch.
Sigh.


7 comments:

Susan said...

If the pattern has a good range of sizes and you plan on using the same yarn and needles, you could use that jumper as your gauge swatch and do some maths to work out which size to knit instead so that it comes out to the right measurements.

Depends whether you'd rather swatch or do maths - I'm aware that many people aren't fans of either!

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Yeah..as a crocheter, I rarely did a gauge swatch...but finding I do need to do one when knitting....

nursenikkiknits said...

I'm sorry it's come out too small because you have done a lovely job. At least when it comes to knitting kids clothes, you know it will fit someone at some point...

The Foggy Knitter said...

I know they are boring, but they do help... I'm with you on the spelling. Also as it has colourwork in it do some colourwork in your swatch as it can change the gauge.

Liz said...

Have just embarked on a baby cardigan for a new arrival (still en route) after eons of not knitting. And, I looked at the gauge and did what I always do, ignored it. Said cardi is looking small, (thankfully the wool has loads of give) and I am hoping that my sister in law is not delivered of a whopper. I may just knit another, the next size up on the pattern as a back up....but the idea of doing a gauge swatch takes all the thrill out of casting on a new ball of wool, a smooth new yet to be crumpled pattern and that edgy feeling that you get as the garment grows on the needles and you know it is not going to fit - anyone!!
Having said all that, your little jumper is lovely.

Paul & Carla said...

One word: overdye. Yes, you'll lose your lovely colorwork but if you happen to have someone in your house who objects to little boys wearing lavender, you might keep it in mind.



Paul & Carla said...

One word: overdye. Yes, you will lose your lovely colorwork but if you happen to have a household member who objects to baby boys wearing lavender, it may be your best solution.